write away

Just another WordPress.com site

My first appearance on television…

with 9 comments

Well, after lots of thinking, and second-guessing it appears I shall be making  my television debut tonight on Insight, the forum program on SBS hosted by Jenny Brockie.

The producers read my article in the Herald about the burqa and why I think a ban will not resolve the issue and think I may have something to add. Now I am not entirely sure I will be heard above the din but one of my points was that this is an issue which needs to be discussed amongst the Muslim community so I am pleased that SBS is on board with that.

The audience will be mainly Muslim and the guests include Muslim intellectual Tariq Ramadan, writer/comedian Tanveer Ahmed, a young woman who wears a burqa out of ‘choice’ and Cory Bernardi (0f course!).

Let’s hope I don’t get tongue tied! Though I imagine my role is going to be very minor since I am neither for a ban nor against it. Ah, moderacy, you are so inconsequential!

Ruby

Advertisements

Written by Ruby

September 21, 2010 at 2:39 am

Posted in Islam, Television

Tagged with , , , ,

9 Responses

1. Terrific effort on Insight, in spite of the fact you were constantly shouted down by the ‘burqa sisters’ !!

It’s a shame that it was such a biased one sided event

Shirl In Oz

September 23, 2010 at 12:16 am

2. Thanks Shirl. To be honest, I really regret the whole thing. I feel like I came across as being too antagonistic (the effort to be heard), and I never even got to say that I am actually against a ban. I didn’t get to say what I really wanted to say which is this: tolerance goes both ways. If a woman really wants to wear it, she should. But if she ever wants to take it off, then she should be able to.

Ruby

September 23, 2010 at 12:39 am

• Ruby, no problems. I don’t think you were antagonistic….now if anyone was, it was the totally blacked out burka sister.

I also don’t want to appear that way, but I am vehemently opposed to anyone covering themselves, so they are totally “invisible”

You may feel that “But if she ever wants to take it off, then she should be able to.” but the two ex-Muslims friends I have, think that most women are NOT given any choice.

Shirl In Oz

September 23, 2010 at 4:06 am

3. I thought you were very courageous.

Gary

September 23, 2010 at 4:42 pm

4. Ruby,

I’m a Muslim and watched the program and thought you displayed great mannerisms in the face of a pretty hostile environment. You were understandably nervous and as a Muslim, I was highly embarassed by the lack of etiquette and courtesy in the discussion. I thought wow, if they dress that way all covered up and long beards then they must be religious and know basic manners. I was wrong – you in fact showed a more Islamic character than they did.

Whilst I may hold different views than you, I respect your position and what you have to say. Please don’t regret going on the show, you did something which happens very rarely in the Muslim community and thta is critical thought and questioning.

We need to have more of this and you’re welcome to express your thoughts anytime – I’d be keen to read them.

Ahmad

September 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm

5. Thanks Ahmad, that really means a lot coming from a Muslim. To be honest, I don’t know if I will ever write or speak on this topic again. It’s frustrating as I have so much to say, things that really need to be said but it seems some people think that any introspection is an attack on their faith when I really didn’t intend it that way.

I hope it encourages other people from the community to put forward their views. The Muslim community is sadly lacking in debate and self-awareness. If it is not to remain on the periphery of Australian society it must be willing to examine itself.

Ruby

September 28, 2010 at 1:53 am

• Couldn’t agree more Ruby.

I have much to say as well and my good friend is always causing a huge controversey on Muslim blogs by asking them to question. Is very entertaining to watch haha.

Close criticism is actually part of the classicial Islamic tradition but today, people think if you criticise, you are anti Islamic. I notice you are into art and film making – this is INCREDIBLE and I really sincerely wish you utmost success in this field. We need more representation in such fields and you have the eloquency (and looks!) to make it big in that field insha`Allah! 🙂

E-mail me sometime, would be nice to follow your work.

Ahmad

September 28, 2010 at 3:20 am

6. Hi Ruby,

Firstly I commend you for your appearance on TV, I watched it with intrigue.
    I was delighted to see a beautiful and bright young lady that came out and spoke her mind. Personally I totally reject the notion of the “TENT”, the Imam that spoke had no idea, It is not ISLAMIC to have to wear it and it is not in the koran or hadith, it is actually a cultural habit. People like him cause confusion and mislead the islamic commnity and prevent them from assimilating, I believe women are totally free to make their own choices and dress as they please. No Man should dictate to a woman how to live. It is liberal minded women like you that make people respect islam.

You should be very very proud of yourself.
    We need more educated women like you to speak out. Do not allow any one to discourage you in anyway, stay strong and determined, people like you make a huge difference and help bridge the Gap..
    You did exceptionally well, I would have been apprehensive in such a forum.
    Islam is been hijacked by a radical element that are destroying the name of Islam and causing the west to hate it.

Take good care, God bless you. Drop me a line if you like.

Ibby